Friday, April 18, 2008

Ugly love

I loved Topp's "Ugly" stickers as a kid! Chthulhulian creatures and Basil Wolverton and Wally Wood weirdies in garish colors! Fairly common in the latter half of the '60s through the first half of the '70s, I thought they were the coolest. Even had some rubber finger puppet monsters based on the art.

The fact that they put common names on the sticker cracked me up as a kid. Back then, "Max" was anything but a common name. Do I remember wishing that they had one with my moniker on it!

Here are some photos that I found on the 'net; Ebay sales mostly, of my favorite stickers:








4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha! Nice. Why oh why was I born in 78? sigh. Do they have a Michael? ;D

Sparkle Plenty said...

LOVE THESE! I still mourn the fact that they did not have a Sparkle.

Unknown said...

Huh, these would have been great for me as a kid.
I was born way too late, though.

Mr. Karswell said...

I remember moving when I was a kid and sadly leaving behind my bedroom door which was completely covered in these stickers, and Wacky Packages, and whatever else... I'm sure the new owners of the house immediately removed the door and chucked it in the garbage too, which even now 35 years later almost brings tears to my eyes.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails