Thursday, July 1, 2010

VAMPIRA article resurrected!

Thanks to the kindness of my friend Fritz of the Headless Hearseman site, I can share scans of a 1955 "People Today" article about the new TV sensation, Vampira! (In real life, Vampira was actress Maila Nurmi.) Enjoy this contemporary look at the boob tube's first horror hostess ever-- I think you'll learn a few details about Ms. Nurmi you didn't know before (I did, anyway!):

Above: Mara Corday of TARANTULA, etc. fame.


Thanks to friend Elizabeth Haney, for pointing out that Maila's niece has a Facebook page! There she shares some of her aunt's artwork, prints of which (witch?) will soon be available!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/album.php?aid=167661&id=42296997567

7 comments:

Trix said...

I loved the "I'll convert them with bumps and grinds if need be" line!!

Thanks *so* much for sharing Max! :)

Prof. Grewbeard said...

and hey, how about that Mara Corday on the cover there, you know, Mara Corday of The Black Scorpian, The Giant Claw, Tarantula and others. cool, huh? i noticed that she was on the cover, she's awesome, too. i know she's no Vampira, but...

Max the drunken severed head said...

Trix, Professor--

Thanks for posting comments! I've been slow to post for a while, and I'm very glad to see you haven't stopped visiting TDSH.

Prof., I meant to say something about Ms. Corday, but didn't. Thanks for pointing out that she too was a beautiful star of genre films. I've added a caption to her photo, thanks to your reminder.

Pierre Fournier said...

Great find, Max. Love reading about Vampira and her cantilevered superstructure.

wich2 said...

Thanks, guys.

Looking forward to a Vampira video I just traded for...

Great weekend,
-Craig W.

Max the drunken severed head said...

Pierre--

Thanks for the compliment on the post. I'm with you-- Ms. Nurmi had SOME construction!

Fritz die Spinne said...

Max, glad to see you got this out there to share. Thanks for posting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails