Saturday, April 11, 2009

A Patchwork of Art

An artistic fella by the name of "Coop" (in homage to the Coop of "Electric Frankenstein" CD sleeve art, I'm guessing) has started a blog/art project that has gotten my attention. It's called A Patchwork of Flesh, and it's a blog gallery of handmade Frankenstein Monster art cards. From his blog is his explanation on how's getting and displaying these mini-monsterpieces:

"I am attempting to amass a large collection of portraits of Frankenstein's Monster in as many different styles and in as many different media as possible as an ongoing art project. The only stipulation is that the size is 2.5 inches by 3.5 inches (standard artist trading card size).
I will be leaving blank cards with instructions and mailing address in galleries, colleges, art shops, on buses, handing them out in the street and wherever else I can think of.

"If you are reading this and would like to get involved, please send a portrait to:

"A Patchwork Of Flesh
45 Silversea Drive
Westcliff on Sea
Essex
SS0 9XD
United Kingdom

"Each card I receive will be uploaded to produce an on-line gallery, I then hope to put on an exhibition of these cards in a gallery.
"

So far, the collected art ranges in quality and style, of course. Some seem painted or drawn directly onto the card, others seem to be computer-creations printed onto a card. There's a wonderful Poe monster, and there's this one (by an uncredited artist) which nicely mashes the Monster with the Golem. (A monster mash!) Just in time for Passover!

Don't pass over your chance to see monster hop pop art-- check out A Patchwork of Flesh.

3 comments:

Coop said...

Thanks for the publicity, it's mucho appreciated. The name "Coop" is not actually an homage to the Coop you mention, although I do admire his work. It's just what I get called, my surname is Cooper and it gets shortened. Please feel free to send me pics, it would be great to get some cards from real monster fans.

Max the drunken severed head said...

Thanks for the correction--sorry about that!

Glad you sent me a link to this project. I'll be watching it develop.

Diane said...

really cool project! i've followed as well. maybe i'll whip up a piece to contribute!

i LOVE the random image of the week! made me smile!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails